Sunday, April 8, 2012

Implosion 3: Designs and things

I'm starting to do designs for the new piece.  Basically the way the film will work is a simple camera move through a scene as a garden grows out of the ground.  The camera will move through a maze and the garden will grow.  Every so often it will raise levels to taller and taller foliage.  I have planned out 5 levels all with different designs -
Level 1 - short flowers
sections and timing
Level 2 - taller flowers
Level 3 - bushes and short foliage
Level 4 - trees
Level 5 - waterfalls

Right now I've only designed the flowers.  I will have four designs for both sections (eight in all).  Each design will have four colors - violate, cyan, white and possibly yellow (tentative).  And each design will have three shape bases - cones, spheres and cubes.  This makes 12 types of flowers for each design and so 48 for each level; 96 flowers in all.  As you can see in the map, the outer two sections are levels 1&2 and they are the largest so it will take a very long time to model and rig, but it will be worth it. If I only used four flowers that would get old fast.

I have some timing there as well.  Within level 1 you can see an "x" in the bottom slight left.  I have roughly timed that to be 6 seconds.  This could easily get longer, but at least for now I think it's a good start.  I was mostly working backward.  I want the film to be at least 3 minutes in length.  There's roughly 30 sections that are the size of "x" in the whole map, which makes for 6 seconds for each "x".

camera moves and levels
As you can see here in this image the camera will start in the bottom and follow the path of the 1st level, then rise as it reaches the 2nd level, the same with the 3rd level, etc.  All along the way the flowers and foliage will rise from the ground as the camera passes. And at the end I'll probably add some spin or something.  We'll see. I have a feeling I'll be motivated by Ale's music and play off of that at that point.


Here are my two sets of sketches for the flowers and the respective names I'm using.  Most of these are wrong or variations of real flowers, but I'm more using them for naming purposes in my scenes rather then making for accuracy.

I modeled my first flower.  It's a white, cube, "sunflower".  And I used the near final render settings (lighting and texturing) that I like with an HDR for somewhat natural lighting - really it doesn't look "real" I just like some of the HDR's that I've made cause they give a nice soft look where no part of my scene feels like the color stays exactly the same across a certain part of the image.


No comments:

Post a Comment