Sunday, June 3, 2012

"East" texts and info

This new project is all about different parts of LA that are over looked.  I am currently calling "East" and the other day I had an explosion of ideas about what I want to shoot and how I want to put it together.

I will open with the following quote from Robert Smithson from his article "A Tour of the Monuments of Passaic, New Jersey":
 "Picture in your mind's eye [a] sand box divided in half with black sand on one side and white sand on the other.  We take a child and have him run hundreds of times clockwise in the box until the sand gets mixed and begins to turn grey; after that we have him run anti-clockwise, but the result will not be a restoration of the original division but a greater degree of greyness and an increase of entropy."

Then I want to follow that with this text that I wrote the other day:
"Just as popular media neglects important topics, under represented people and identities it also neglects places.  In the most photographed city in the world there are endless miles that are rarely if ever exposed to the world.  This area is know as East LA."

I made these notes:
Show multiple scenes & places and between each location have a matching shot - i.e. from Vernon zoom into the Sears Building then cut to Sears and neighborhood.

each location ~ 5 min
~ 120 min in total
24 locations
19 locations and 5 interludes


Interludes
  • timelapse x2
    • timelapse 1: night, lights, driving cars
    • timelapse 2: sunrise/set etc
  • 2nd Street Tunnel
  • 6th St bridge tunnel
  • chopper ride over LA ($ permitting)
  • Blueline ride
Locations
  • Vernon
  • Chinatown
  • Watts - Inglewood
  • downtown - Bway theatres
  • Santa Fe and Train yard
  • LA River
  • Sears Building (Boyle Heights)
  • Fashion District
  • Jefferson Park (empty hotels)
  • Griffith Park - abandoned Zoo
  • Little Tokyo
  • Highland Park
  • El Sereno
  • Monterey Park
  • Baldwin Park
  • Linclon Heights
  • Olvera St
  • Cypress Park
  • El Monte
  • Skid Row

I also forgot to mention that I'm planning on shooting as much as possible by bicycle (or hand held) and then later stabilizing it (there is soo much jittering on a bicycle it doesn't look very good).  I want to make this film in the most alternative way possible.  I never want to be in too much control of the scenery (unlike Hollywood that wants to lock off every bit of our world), use as little dirty energy as possible and do this almost completely by myself.  I hope to have some friends help me shoot. Mostly cause I'm afraid of shooting with a $1K camera in some of these areas all alone.  This is usually how I make things and it's not exactly a new technique, but often people use the term do-it-yourself to try and get away with poor looking productions.

Here is an example that I shot a few weeks ago on the Blueline train going north.

No comments:

Post a Comment