Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A cliche "Best of 2013" list for you

So, as the year turns over and I slept my way through the first 12 hours (minus the first 5 hours) of 2014 I reflect upon last year. Many folks seem to be glad that 2013 is out the door.  For me it was mixed with extremely good thing and some pretty heartbreaking and difficult things.
I've decided to compile a list of some of the great things that happened for me in this last year.  It's not so much for you, the reader, as it is for me.  A time to remember my accomplishments and how I want to improve upon them.


1. My latest creation "Antiquities for the Queen of Angels" created apart of the Echo Park Film Center's LA AIR residency.



2. Showing "Antiquities..." at the flEXiff with CineWest in Sydney, the award they bestowed upon me and the successful and amazingly supportive crowd sourcing campaign that got me out to Sydney (thanks to all my supporters!).


3. Moving to Oakland.  What an accomplishment on such a minor budget! I got rid of so many possessions that I really didn't need and I worked diligently until I found the right place with a great group of folks at ABCO.  I do miss some folks in LA, but the general culture there I find very oppressive and closed minded (I hope no friends take that personally).

4.  Having a great and final screening at RedCat of the wonderful Jodie Mack.  That was an intense four days with lots of complications dealing with analogue film and the waning of it's use.  I was glad to work one last time with the RedCat and CalArts staff - Bill, Tony, Ian, Steve and Berenice and pass the torch on to Gina.

5. Being appointed a board member of the iotaCenter.  Really this speaks to all the volunteer work I've done with them over the past couple years, but it was quite an honor.

6. In tandem with that is the production of the DVD of Robert Darroll's Korean Trilogy.  That took
may months and some film scanning complications, the help of the Academy Film Archive and Mark Toscano.

7.  Attending the demolition of the Park Theatre in Menlo Park.  Yes, probably the worst thing that happened to me this year, but I was glad to get to go inside one last time, take footage and flip through the memories.

8.  I finally made it to the LA Conservancy's Last Remaining Seats screenings and got to enjoy it was some wonderful friends.

9.  I climbed Yosemite Falls with my dad.  We spent a couple peaceful nights camping out and I realized he has a tremendous amount of more stamina than I do at backpacking, but still had a great time.

10. I went to HK for my first time!  Even though I was only there for two days and I interviewed for a position that I didn't get I still got to see a beautiful city and spend time with my great friend Mike Robinson and his lovely lady, Meco.

No comments:

Post a Comment